28 December 2008

Mount Forest, Ontario, Canada


Carnegie Library release #2 was done in Mount Forest, Ontario, Canada on 27 December 2008. As I understand it, Mount Forest has had a public library since the mid-late 1800s and this Carnegie Library was opened in 1913. It is still in use as a library today, as the Mount Forest Branch of the Wellington County Public Library. This release is pretty personal for me, so here is an excerpt from the book's journal that should explain it:

I took a little trip to Mount Forest this afternoon, on a bit of a journey to discover some secrets about who I am and where I come from... specifically to see the area where my grandfather grew up (he grew up on a farm outside of Mount Forest in the first few decades of the 1900s), and find the cemetery where my people buried their dead for their first few generations in Canada. My mother died when I was a little girl, and though I was pretty close to her parents when they were alive, they're both long dead and I know very little of that side of my family... so I went to Mount Forest because I've long felt that I just needed to see for myself where my people come from (as far as Canada is concerned), and high up on my list of places to go was Mount Forest's Carnegie Library, a building with which my grandfather almost certainly quite familiar. Unfortunately, the library was closed by the time I got there, so I couldn't go in... but I left one of my favourite books there... a magical story about children who endeavour to unlock some secrets of their family's past, too. Also, it's a book about a garden, and my grandfather was quite a gardener-- one who read with me a lot when I was a little child.


The book fell from the spot where I left it, and it's hard to see in the picture, but it's on the second step from the top, at the left side of the stair. If you want to see where this book goes, you can check out its journal here.

No comments:

Post a Comment